God sometimes gives us unexpected gifts. Our gift has been a grandson who enlivens our lives and makes retirement very different than the one we anticipated. He is a special joy. And that's "Casey." In 2006 we fulfilled our dream of living in Italy for a year. It was every bit as wonderful as anticipated. This blog begins in 2005 as we prepared for that experience. Since then we have explored many places together. That's the "Travel." And finally, I am a person of opinions--spiritually, politically, on just about anything and that's the "Other Stuff." Welcome to my blog.

Sunday, June 26, 2005

Holding Pattern--So Boring!

Not much new to report--but thought maybe I should sign in and say thanks for stopping by. This week has been a nightmare as much of it was spent trying to bring a sick computer back to health and then putting a new one together for Casey's soon to be 7th birthday. It's amazing to me how our little ones gravitate to and understand technology almost through osmosis. As much as I am on the computer, I had to turn to him the other day for help! Can't believe it? Then--since he is constantly using my digital camera--which is a high-end Sony--we decided that he might as well have his own. So--yes--he's getting a new camera--albeit one as cheap as I could find that still has a printable resolution and is large enough for little hands to use. Actually, if you think about it, digital cameras are great for kids--no film costs, no development costs, they can take and take pictures as long as they like and, absent dropping or losing them or submerging in the ocean, they will last a long time. KC (my schizophrenic child hasn't yet settled on his moniker) found great fascination last week taking pictures of his nostrils and rubber facial expressions.

Anyway computers---after being so happy that my friend fixed mine without reformatting and losing all my data--it really didn't work. Before I could back up the stuff, it crashed again and this time it really crashed. So--he reformatted the C drive, wiping all out and beginning new. But--I wasn't worried as he first copied all my data to the D drive--so no fear--right? Again--short lived relief as the data transfer didn't work and so, when I, with great expectation, opened the My Documents folder--nulla (that's Italian for nothing)! I searched and searched, clicked and clicked--nada (that's Spanish for nothing). Tax records, vital records, etc, etc, etc. had all been there--along with all the guardianship documentation and just the nuts and bolts of our lives.
Do We Really Need Them?
Now, you are thinking--"you dummy, you should have backed it all up"--surprise--most of it was--at least through the end of March. Plus a couple more recent files I had on a thumb drive. So---things could have been worse. Like--no tax records for the past 5 years and having to rescan all our personal documents (birth certificates, passports, etc.) and losing all those records that make up our lives. And, because I use two computers, some stuff was on this one. But-----the message is still loud and clear--get an external hard drive and keep all backups current. Oh--the other good news was that I keep pictures on the D drive and so they were still there when all was done.

For all of you who do not back up---stop whatever it is you are doing right now and take care of business or you will live to regret procrastinating!

Casey's new computer is a hybrid of stuff--I had an old laptop (2 years old which makes it ancient) just taking up closet space--so I wiped it clean, reinstalled XP2 and apps, put on internet controls, hooked it up to a flatscreen and external keyboard and mouse and he's thrilled. Using the laptop rather than a tower will make taking it to Italy much easier.
No new news on the visa front--our attorney here will go to court this week for the judge's order of clarification. Assuming that things go as planned, we'll be set to get the order and guardianship papers translated and then move to the next step.

Tomorrow we leave for Denver for a church conference. Will return Sunday. Then on Monday we will have a family birthday celebration for KC--Tuesday will be his birthday here with just us and then on Friday (9th) he will have a pizza/pool party with his little friends.
All that is to say that my blog will probably lie dormant for a while--unless there is some really big event or information.
I hope that each of you has something especially good happen between now and then. If so, why not share it as a comment and then we can celebrate with you.
A Presto!

No comments: