God sometimes gives us unexpected gifts. Our gift has been a grandson who enlivens our lives and makes retirement very different than the one we anticipated. He is a special joy. And that's "Casey." In 2006 we fulfilled our dream of living in Italy for a year. It was every bit as wonderful as anticipated. This blog begins in 2005 as we prepared for that experience. Since then we have explored many places together. That's the "Travel." And finally, I am a person of opinions--spiritually, politically, on just about anything and that's the "Other Stuff." Welcome to my blog.

Tuesday, November 04, 2008

A Good Man


Speaking of his grandmother--Toot.

What a day this will be for all of us here in the United States of America! Looking at lines in Virginia, NC and othe states, it appears that many work places will be empty --lines are so long. This is an election that not one of us will forget--one of the defining moments in our country. Even Casey is watching closely, aware not only of the presidential race but most of the propositions here in California. I suspect he can have a more informed discussion than many adults.

Last night Casey asked if Obama's grandmother was in heaven. This morning his face broke into a spontaneous great joyful smile when he heard Obama say that his grandmother went "home" and that it was a time of joy. "Oh, I am so happy to hear that she is home" said ten-year old Casey. Then he left for school with an infectious smile on his face.

I love this picture from Obama's rally last night in Manassas, Virginia--the last rally of his incredible journey--100,000 people!

Next...Washington D.C.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

And I hear McCain had 1000 people at his rally in Florida yesterday! Let's hope that is a good predictor as to how Florida plans to vote.

Anonymous said...

Ciao Jane, in italian I would say many words ... in english is more difficult... but it was long time ago last time I had tears in my eyes for joy... and this morning I had it... and still if I think about his speech ... God bless your country as example for our world. ciao .

Anonymous said...

lara

Jane said...

Lara, thank you for your fine words!! I think we are all feeling this way--what a new world he promises. But, the road ahead for him is a hard one.

Both Ken and I found tears in our eyes when reading what you wrote.