Penne with Shrimp and Spicy Tomato Sauce
¼ cup olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1½ teaspoons paprika
1½ teaspoon ground cumin (I used less)
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
¾ cup canned crushed tomatoes in puree (I used diced and smashed them)
1/3 cup cilantro or parsley chopped
¾ lb penne rigate
1 lb medium shelled shrimp
- In a bowl whisk together everything but pasta and shrimp and cilantro.
- Cook penne until almost done. Add shrimp and cook about a minute longer or until shrimp is done (don't over cook)
- Drain and toss with the sauce (which is not heated.) Sprinkle in cilantro
The recipe suggests variations:
- Use mozzarella in place of shrimp. Toss cheese in at the end.
- Use grille sausage cut into bite size and toss with sauce.
- Use grilled or sautéed vegetables in place of shrimp.