God sometimes gives us unexpected gifts. Our gift has been a grandson who enlivens our lives and makes retirement very different than the one we anticipated. He is a special joy. And that's "Casey." In 2006 we fulfilled our dream of living in Italy for a year. It was every bit as wonderful as anticipated. This blog begins in 2005 as we prepared for that experience. Since then we have explored many places together. That's the "Travel." And finally, I am a person of opinions--spiritually, politically, on just about anything and that's the "Other Stuff." Welcome to my blog.

Wednesday, April 08, 2009

A Good Gramma

That's what I am tonight--a very good gramma. This is spring break here in San Diego. Which means Casey is home 24/7.

You know I love him...but......we're in the middle of a major remodel with plumbers, electricians, painters, tilers, granite fabricators, carpenters etc., etc., etc.

Ken is out of town for the week--smart man that he is. So far in the four weeks of chaos here, he has been gone three. I am sure that he will have the wisdom to love each and every decision I've made in his absence.

Anyway, at some time in the near past, Casey asked if he could have another sleep over and I, tending to forget that the future arrives, said spring break would be a good time.

I have been being reminded for many days of that negligent promise and tonight the future came. The good news being that this time we have only one friend as opposed to the three that came last time. I am becoming smarter the further I get into this grandparent parenting thing.

Tonight we have Kurt, one of Casey's best friends since kindergarten. They have grown up together and have always gotten along wonderfully well. I don't think there has ever been a harsh word between them. This is a one of those friendships that will travel with them for many years.

Tonight we went out for Mexican fast food--the staple diet here in SoCal and always a safe place to take boys for a night out. I had forgotten how silly ten year olds can be and that girls have no monopoly on giggling. I drive a little 1998 Saturn coupe--the kind you fold into and out of--and I am sure that other drivers were startled by the bouncing car moving down the street. The boys were laughing so hard that we were rocking from side to side and up and down. It's amazing I was able to keep us on the road. My sanity was seriously challenged. But, I admit I was enjoying them and their meaningless (to me) rapartee.

Now it is bed time-a meaningless concept tonight, I'm afraid. The boys are upstairs where they have made a tent out of the sleeping bags which are supposed to be used for sleeping. The portable DVD player is in there with them and they're watching a 4 hour and 40 minute Harry Potter movie.


This does not bode well for my sleeping. Particularly because I am certain that they won't like sleeping on the floor and will get me up to arrange the sleeping bags in proper form.

In the morning the workmen will be back and the boys will want breakfast--maybe we'll make a trip to Jack-in-the-Box for one of their healthy egg offerings.

And, I am home free from another sleep over until the next time I cave or forget I said "I'm too old--never again."

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny - I've never equated Jack-in-the-Box with HEALTHY! It sounds as if Casey is having a great time on his spring break.

Trekcapri said...

Hi Jane, I just loved reading this post! And the way you wrote it I can almost hear the boys giggling under their makeshift tent! :)

Thanks for the great read this morning. Made me smile!

Jane said...

Jerry--I think you are right--J-in-the B is not healthy and we didn't go.

Kathy--How nice to know that I helped your day start well. Thanks for enjoying it.

Anonymous said...

Hope that the sleepover went well, and that you are off the hook for a while!

Sheri

Jane said...

Sheri--it was quite OK. The boys were up until 2:55 and then played so hard the next day that KZ slept 11 1/2 hours last night.

Diana Strinati Baur said...

jane, quite simply you are an awesome gramma. And you are that 24/7.

Jane said...

Diana, thanks!!!

girasoli said...

Oh to be a kid again! It sounds like he had a great sleepover and you are definitely a great gramma :)

Chiocciola said...

You are indeed a fabulous grandma, Jane! Sounds like the sleepover was a great success...

Claudia said...

Ahh ... sleepovers ... just when you think they're done.... And Spring Break. American tradition that leaves me with little sleep.

Jane said...

Claudia, thanks for finding my blog--I see we have some friends in common. I need to spend time on your Italian Food Blog (of course) and the Kids and Theatre blog will take some perusing.

Yes, sleep overs--I remember them well.