God sometimes gives us unexpected gifts. Our gift has been a grandson who enlivens our lives and makes retirement very different than the one we anticipated. He is a special joy. And that's "Casey." In 2006 we fulfilled our dream of living in Italy for a year. It was every bit as wonderful as anticipated. This blog begins in 2005 as we prepared for that experience. Since then we have explored many places together. That's the "Travel." And finally, I am a person of opinions--spiritually, politically, on just about anything and that's the "Other Stuff." Welcome to my blog.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

The Day Draws Near

O.K., the plans are this:

Thursday we will get up with the birds (early) so that we can have the dubious pleasure (that, it is not!) of joining the morning traffic nightmare from here (San Diego) to there (Los Angeles.) We are off to the Italian Consulate--that bastion of encouraging words and warm welcome. Actually, I am working on changing my expectations which have been honed on previous contacts and reading the experiences of those who have gone before us. But, I believe in miracles and the serendipities of life and so am confident that our experience will be different, postive, productive and, above all, successful.

Actually today a good thing happened. Yesterday I called Sandra's extension at the consulate--a couple of last minute questions. She wasn't answering her phone but did give the opportunity to leave a voice message--so I hung up as ALL previous attempts (fax, email and letters) had been 100% unsuccesful. But then, I thought "What do I have to lose by leaving a message? Nothing tried, nothing gained." So, I called back and left my name and number.

By this morning, I had ensconced that memory deep within a non-reachable corner of the mental filing cabinet, so, was thoroughly taken by surprise when the phone rang with that special sound it makes with out of area calls.

And--I was busy and so just about decided to ignore it when I heard "This is the Italian Consulate returning your call. You didn't say what you wanted so I don't know what you called.........." I ran, tripping over left out shoes (Casey's, of course), a chair and a stack of books in the mad dash to pick up the phone before it went dead.

And--there was Sandra--or Sandy as her voice mail says--live and well on the other end. We had a very nice cordial chat. I asked my questions, she answered them and I warmly told her that we look forward to seeing her on Thursday.

So--with our brief case full of papers, cash in the exact amount that is required, an Express Mail envelop stamped and addressed to myself for the return of our passports and much anticipation, we face this hurdle. Our biggest concern is that Sandra or her counterpart accept the guardianship and travel court orders (translated and apostilled).

So--next time I write, I hope that there is good news, that all is well and, most of all, that the adventure moves along.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck Jane. I'm betting all is going to be just perfect for you guys.